How do you write a short essay or a theme that will amaze teachers at school or at the 2018 Maturity Answering this question is not easy because writing is not like mathematics: it has no precise rules (apart from grammar, of course!). However, this does not mean that you cannot still learn to write better by paying attention to some detail that can make a difference and by applying the right method.
10 WRITING TIPS. The Student.it editorial team has collected ten valuable tips that can help you write well and, therefore, have no problems with writing a theme or a short essay. Here’s what they are:
1) Choose the active form when possible. The passive form is less fluent, the active one helps to make your sentences clearer and more direct.
2) Use synonyms intelligently. The thesaurus is perfect not only for avoiding repetition but also for learning what the different nuances of word meanings are. Consult it with the right attention and you will not regret it.
3) Measure the presence of complex words. Showing off your culture is not always a good thing: stuffing a theme with big words can make it not very smooth. Technical and specific terms may be present in a paper only if actually necessary, for example, in some types of a short essay.
4) Save the unnecessary words. There are concepts that can be expressed through a single word. Using the right word will help you make your sentences smoother and your essay or theme will benefit.
5) Citing means knowing how to choose, not knowing how to copy and paste. Inserting some quotes helps a theme to be more captivating and is essential for the correct development of a short essay at maturity. However, this does not mean being authorized to insert entire blocks of sentences taken from other works: it is necessary to make a careful and sensible selection. The words of others should support your speech, not develop it for you.
6) If not required, do not be posted. It is not necessary to distance yourself from what you write always and in any case. In some cases, for example, addressing the reader is a good ploy to make the text more fascinating.
7) Learn To Paraphrase
For every writer in the start, it is very important to learn how to paraphrase sentences, content or other’s work. When you use someone else’s work in your writing with reference it is important its properly paraphrased to avoid plagiarism. One important tool in this regard is the paraphrase tool, it will help you to learn how to paraphrase online effectively. Rephrasing becomes easier with this tool and you learn things very quickly.
8) Learn to choose the right tone. Before starting to write, stop for a moment and answer these questions: who is my theme or short essay for? What is the main argument? You will see that choosing the exact tone in which to advance your argument will be much easier.
9) Carefully take care of the incipit and the conclusions. The themes and short essays are like movies: people are led to remembering above all the beginning and the end. This does not mean that the corpus is not important (indeed, this is where you can best develop your ideas), but that your flashes of style will be noticed more if inserted in the incipit or in the conclusions.
10) Always reread at least twice. Rereading is a bore but it’s the only way to check:
– that the speech flows and is coherent
– that there are no grammar errors (keep an eye on the 23 most common Italian errors )
– that the concordance is perfect (subjects, adjectives, tenses, take a look at everything!)
11) Read whenever you have the opportunity. Finally, we leave you with this advice that, of course, you cannot put into practice when writing a theme or a short essay, but which is still very important. If you don’t train your mind how will you understand not only how but also what to write?